Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Quilts for Grandchildren

This is what I've been working on recently on my days off from work. With the arrival of the Holiday Season, I have fewer days off and fewer hours off on the days I work. That means I'm now squeezing in sewing/quilting/etc. in the bits of time before and after work.

The Robyn quilt was my first real attempt at Free Motion Quilting (FMQ). It was a disaster.  You can't imagine how much machine stitched quilting I ripped out and re-attempted.  You won't be seeing close up photos of the back of this one. It still looks pretty rough. Hopefully my granddaughter won't care and my daughter won't mind repairing it when needed.





This photo shows the machine stitched Prairie Points border.
I had learned a trick or two about FMQ by the time I got to this one.  I really enjoyed this one.  There was not nearly the amount of frustration that accompanied the Robyn quilt.









Detail of machine stitched binding.

I haven't advanced past the basic random loop-ti-loop. Perhaps I'll try something different when I finish my current project.

I'm currently working on a crib size quilt made with "Little Apples" from Pink Castle Fabrics.  I wasn't to sure about the fabric combinations till I got the top pieced. Now I love it! Hopefully I will have it finished and ready to photograph by this time next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment